– MORE THAN 1/2 OF LGBT YOUTH SAY THEY ARE OUT TO THEIR IMMEDIATE FAMILY. 1/4 ARE OUT TO THEIR EXTENDED FAMILY.
– 63% OF LGBT YOUTH SAY THEY WILL NEED TO MOVE TO ANOTHER PART OF THE COUNTRY TO FEEL ACCEPTED.
– 81.9% OF LGBT STUDENTS REPORTED BEING VERBALLY HARASSED AT SCHOOL IN THE PAST YEAR BECAUSE OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION.
– LGBT YOUTH ARE 4 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO ATTEMPT SUICIDE AS THEIR STRAIGHT PEERS.
– 33% OF LGBT YOUTH SAY THEIR FAMILY IS NOT ACCEPTING OF LGBT PEOPLE.
– FAMILY REJECTION IS THE MOST FREQUENTLY CITED REASON FOR LGBT YOUTH HOMELESSNESS.
CYNDI LAUPER Co-founder, True Colors Fund
A Grammy, Emmy and Tony award winning artist with 30 sterling years and global record sales in excess of 50 million, Cyndi Lauper has proven that she has the heart and soul to keep her legion of fans compelled by her every creative move. The past year has proven to be another amazing period for this career artist as Lauper released her New York Times Best Selling autobiography – Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir – published by Simon & Schuster, wrote the original score for the Tony award winning best musical Kinky Boots, partnered with Mark Burnett on the docu-series, Cyndi Lauper: Still So Unusual that aired on WE tv, and continued her philanthropic work through her foundation, the True Colors Fund. Helping others has always been a guiding force for Cyndi. An unwavering advocate for equality long before she became famous, she co-founded the True Colors Fund in 2008 to further her commitment. The organization works to inspire everyone to get involved in advancing equality for all through its Give a Damn Campaign and to bring an end to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth homelessness through its Forty to None Project.