Tomorrow, Friday, December 5th is International Volunteer Day (IVD), a day organized by UN Volunteers dedicated to recognizing and appreciating the hundreds of millions of people who volunteer to make the world a better place. On #IVD2014, we not only celebrate and recognize volunteerism, but also pay special tribute to peoples’ participation in making a difference at all levels: locally, nationally and globally. Thanks to the dedication of MY World partners, including thousands of volunteers, millions have participated in the MY World 2015 global survey.
#IVD2014, and this week leading up to it, will be a time of action for the MY World survey – we are extremely close to reaching 7 million people through the survey, and we believe that with the power of volunteering we can achieve this goal within the next few weeks. Please join us in celebrating #IVD2014 by being part of this big push to reach 7 million votes!
HOW CAN YOU CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEER DAY WITH MY WORLD?
Here are some ideas:
- Celebrate tomorrow Friday, December 5th , by carrying out the MY World Survey in your community, with an event, through social media, or through any other channel which is appropriate for you and your organization.
- Promote volunteerism and #IVD2014 by encouraging people to engage on the priorities they voted for. Use IVD poster and materials and MY World posters and materials.
- Document & Share your volunteerism by taking a picture of yourself and other volunteers carrying out MY World Outreach. Highlight your MY World outreach efforts on social media using the hashtags #IVD2014, #actioncounts, and #makechangehappen (see below for sample tweets, and IVD’s social media toolkit for more information). Please send pictures and stories to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can share them on our blog (for guidelines on blog posts, please see our partner toolkit).
The success of the MY World global survey is due to YOU – thousands of enthusiastic and dedicated supporters around the world, including UN Volunteers. Thank you for your incredible volunteerism and commitment to ensuring that people’s voices are heard at the United Nations!
Please do not hesitate to reach out to the MY World 2015 team at email@example.com to share your stories or if you have any questions about MY World outreach on International Volunteer Day.
MY World International Volunteer Day Social Media Guidance
Primary Hashtags: #IVD2014, #makechangehappen, #actioncounts, #volunteer, #post2015
Primary Handles: @myworld2015, @UNVolunteers, @UN
Social media graphic
Sample Tweets supporting MY World Outreach:
- I #makechangehappen by telling the @UN my priorities for a better world &taking action by volunteering @myworld2015 @UNVolunteers #IVD2014
- Tell the @UN your priorities for a better world with the @myworld2015 global survey #IVD2014 @UNVolunteers
Millions have had their say at the @UN with the @myworld2015 global survey thanks to volunteers #IVD2014 @UNVolunteers
- I #volunteer because I want YOU to have your voice heard at the @UN #IVD2014 vote.myworld2015.org #makechangehappen, #volunteer
- Help @myworld2015 reach 7 million votes this #IVD2014. See how at bit.ly/myworldkit Then #volunteer to #makechangehappen
- 7 million voices is possible w/ your help! Support #IVD2014 by doing @myworld2015 outreach bit.ly/myworldkit
I #volunteer to help @myworld2015 reach 7 million people. #IVD2014 #actioncounts #makechangehappen @unvolunteers
- On 5 December 2014, volunteers around the world will celebrate International Volunteer Day by taking Action in their community. Join them by helping your communities vote in MY World 2015, the United Nations global survey for a better world. Use the partner toolkit to design online and offline outreach strategies: bit.ly/myworldkit. Help us reach 7 million voices!
- Reaching 7 million voices is possible! Join volunteers around the world in spreading MY World to your communities this International Volunteer Day, 5 December 2014.
- I’m celebrating International Volunteer Day by giving voice to the voiceless in my community. Join me – vote.myworld2015.org
- On International Volunteer Day, 5 December 2014, help MY World reach 7 million voices and promote volunteerism by encouraging people to take action on their priorities. Everybody can volunteer to make change happen!
Courtesy of The MY World team