Kofi Annan: The world I’m working to create
The Chair and founder of the Kofi Annan Foundation shares his vision for a fairer, more peaceful world. We have, for too long, been consuming the resources of the world as if there were no tomorrow. We need to create a world that is equitable, stable, and where the needs of the individual are at the centre of our efforts.
The Kofi Annan Foundation mobilises political will to overcome threats to peace, development and human rights. In most cases the expertise and evidence needed to solve pressing problems such as poverty, armed conflict and poor governance already exist. What holds us back is lack of leadership or political will to identify and deliver solutions. The Foundation mobilises those who are in a position to influence and bring leadership to the world’s most pressing problems.
How the Kofi Annan Foundation works
- Private diplomacy ~ The Foundation provides counsel and participates in diplomatic initiatives to avert or resolve crises.
- Public advocacy ~ Through targeted public interventions, the Foundation helps shape public discussion of global issues and threats.
- Convening power ~ The Foundation brings together leaders in diplomacy, business, politics and civil society to jointly tackle threats and crises.
- Mediation & Crisis resolution ~ The Foundation provides its good offices, mediates, or intervenes in crises when it can make a difference.
- Building lasting peace »»»
- Changing drug policy »»»
- Combatting hunger »»»
- Mediation and crisis resolution »»»
- Promoting youth leadership »»»
- Supporting democracy and elections with integrity »»»
The three pillars of a fairer, more peaceful world
- Peace and security ~ There can be no long term peace without development.
- Sustainable development ~ There can be no long-term development without security.
- Human rights and the rule of law ~ No society can long remain prosperous without respect for human rights and the rule of law.
Kofi Annan – Biography
Kofi Annan, the founding chair of the Kofi Annan Foundation, is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and was the Secretary-General of the United Nations between 1997 and 2006. With the Foundation, Kofi Annan seeks to mobilise political will to overcome threats to peace, development and human rights.
Authorized Affiliates of The New B.P
Save $5 on a Lesson Planet Membership! Click through on the image to the left and the discount will be automatically applied at check out – discount valid until Dec 31, 2016